Dr. Mulvaney, Niles implant dentist, shares the advantages of undergoing sedation dentistry.
For many people a trip to the dentist involves anxiety and fear related to necessary dental procedures. Some patients fail to schedule dental appointments because of this fear, which can lead to negative effects on their health. Fortunately, combining sedation dentistry with local anesthesia offers a solution for patients dealing with anxiety. IV sedation is very effective, and according to the American Dental Association, the use of sedation and anesthesia by appropriately trained dentists continues to have a remarkable record of safety. Dr. Mulvaney understands the discomfort some patients experience while visiting the dentist, and he’s committed to making that experience more relaxing with the use of sedation dentistry.
How Does Sedation Dentistry Work?
While local anesthesia will always be used to numb the affected area before surgery, IV sedation is an optional sedation agent designed to help the patient relax during treatment. IV sedation is administered into the patient’s blood system during treatment. Patients with a fear of injection will be sedated before the local anesthesia is administered. Patients are in a deep state of relaxation while under sedation, but are also still conscious and able to communicate with the dental staff. When the sedation wears off, most patients will not remember their procedure.
What are the Benefits of Sedation Dentistry?
1. Relaxation – Over 20% of patients avoid the dentist due to anxiety and dental phobia. Patients who might otherwise avoid dental procedures can rest easy knowing their experience will be anxiety-free.
2. Comfort – Sedation dentistry has the benefit of increasing patient comfort. Patients will feel less tired after long dental procedures. Patients with jaw soreness and TMJ problems will also feel more comfortable while under dental sedation. The pain threshold is higher with sedation dentistry, so less local anesthetic will be required (though local anesthetic will always be necessary during surgery).
3. Movement Control – Some conditions affect patients’ movement control, which makes many dental procedures difficult. Sedation dentistry can resolve movement control issues and make it easier for dentists to perform necessary treatment.
4. Patient Co-operation – The American Dental Association states that without the use of anesthesia and sedatives, “many patient populations such as young children, physically and mentally challenged individuals and many other dental patients could not access the comprehensive care that relieves pain and restores form and function.” Uncooperative patients can receive the care they need with sedation dentistry.
5. Control of Gag Reflex- Reducing the gag reflex is another benefit of sedation dentistry. Anxiety-induced gagging can be very uncomfortable for patients. Sedation dentistry can significantly reduce this feeling.
6. Fewer Appointments – Sedation dentistry allows patients to tolerate longer appointments without experiencing fatigue from their procedures. Dentists can then work for a longer period of time, and procedures that might have required several appointments can be completed in a single visit.
7. Better Treatment Quality – Many dentists are able to provide optimal treatment when their patients are more relaxed. Sedation dentistry allows dentists to provide more accurate treatment because they don’t have to worry about patient discomfort or uncontrolled movements. For patients, sedation dentistry can help reduce post-operative muscle stiffness and healing time.
Cost of Sedation Dentistry
Dental sedation adds an additional cost to patients’ dental procedures; however, patients can actually save money by paying for sedation, because sedation dentistry can reduce the number of appointments needed to complete a procedure. This results in a lower overall cost for the patient. Patients can save both money and time with sedation dentistry.
Regular trips to the dentist are important for overall health. Patients with dental-related anxiety can benefit from sedation dentistry, which allows for a safe and relaxing experience in the dental chair.
Clue Dental Marketing manages public relations for Dr. Mulvaney, located in Niles, IL, who specializes in implant dentistry (). Dr. Mulvaney provides several implant options for his patients at his Niles, IL practice. He is committed to patient comfort, offering sedation dentistry to provide optimal relaxation for his patients. Dr. Mulvaney’s Implant Care Center is located at 7886 N. Milwaukee Avenue, Niles, IL.